Free Ski Training
This foundation is dedicated to diversifying the world of skiing and bringing the experience of skiing to youth from low-income communities who do not have access to such an elite sport. We are offering a scholarship opportunity that is open to all interested applicants who wish to learn how to ski but cannot currently afford or access the necessary equipment and entry/training costs.
Ski4Change will be hosting an essay contest in order to send its winners on a day spent learning to ski on the slopes. Ski 4 Change understands the importance of writing as a life-sustaining skill necessary to improving academic success, critical thinking and fostering independence through communication. Ski 4 Change will be bringing the winners of the essay contest together with college ski teams for afternoons of ski instruction. Winning applicants will be provided with three free skiing lessons and entry fees. They only need to arrange for transportation to various venues in the Northeastern parts of the United States. By partnering with these organizations, the charity seeks to improve the lives of youth by inspiring an incentive to write and providing access to the opportunity to ski for the first time.
In an effort to make the sport of skiing more democratic and less elitist, as well as to provide outreach to students interested in submitting to the essay contest, Ski4Change also seeks to partner with non-profit organizations in the United States in order to address a special need in the community, serving children in poverty-ridden, inner-city neighborhoods riddled with gang violence. By partnering with these community groups, Ski4Change aims to foster a love of skiing by emphasizing self-discipline, self-empowerment and curiosity. The Shcherbakovskiy siblings hope that through working with a non-profit on a successful ski scholarship event, more ski-related opportunities might happen for inner city youth in the future.
We recognize the importance of writing as a life-sustaining skill necessary to improving academic success, critical thinking and fostering independence and positive attitudes. As a fundamental part of development, writing helps children and teenagers to follow their dreams and pursue their passions, both intellectually and spiritually. Ski 4 Change seeks to improve the lives of youth by inspiring an incentive to write and providing access to the opportunity to ski for the first time.
The top five winners of this contest will attend expenses-paid ski lessons at a local ski mountain.
In writing, art, music, video, or photos, please answer one of the following questions:
- Describe an accomplishment of which you are exceptionally proud. How did you achieve this accomplishment and what motivated you to succeed? What do you want to accomplish in the future?
- Write about a significant memory from your life—maybe an important day, a milestone, or time spent with family and friends. Describe the memory in detail, using the five senses to recreate the scene for the reader.
- If you could be any age, what age would you be? Choose your ideal age and write about why you would want to be this age, what you would do, and where you would go.
- Describe your role model—who is someone you look up to? Who motivates or inspire you? Who sets an example for you and makes you want to be the best version of yourself?
- Think about something that annoys you. What do you find irritating? Describe what bothers you and why it does. What would make it better?
- If you could fly whenever and wherever you wanted, where would you go? Why would you do this particular thing? Be as creative as possible with your answer.
- If you could have one super power what would it be and how would you use it? Would you use it to help yourself or others? Would it allow you to travel, make things or transform things?
Some Optional Ski Areas and Prices
Mass (near Boston)
Weekend and Holidays: $109 and includes 75-minute lesson, all-day snow pass, all-day rental equipment
Mid-Week and non-holidays: $99 and includes 75-minute lesson, all-day snow pass, all-day rental equipment.
ADULT LESSONS (3-WEEKS, once a week)Lessons are available for beginners thru advanced. Choose one weekday morning or evening and come any 3 times during the program period. This program includes 3 one-hour lessons and skiing from 9 am – 5 pm (for morning lessons) or skiing from 5-10pm (for night lessons) on lesson days. (includes lessons and lift tickets) $160 + $85 for equipment rental
Vermont (near Burlington)
Cochran’s Ski Area:
We offer 1-hour group snowboard and ski lessons for adults and children (ages six and above) at 10 AM or 1 PM every Saturday and Sunday (and weekdays, too, during special school vacation hours). If you are renting gear, please arrive one hour prior to the lesson time. Sorry, we can not make any exceptions for 5 year olds in our group lessons. (Lesson time will switch to morning classes only <10 AM> starting on February 27th and 11 AM only starting March 4th).
The cost of the group lesson is $45 (student) or $50 (adult) and includes a ticket for the whole day (rentals are an additional $25).
Bolton Valley offers daily group lessons for adults and teens ages 13 and up. Groups meet at our “Meeting Place” sign directly behind the Base Lodge at 10am and 1:30pm. Adult and teen prices are for lesson only. Lessons last 1.75 hours (Lessons with only one or two people last 1 hour) and meet at 10:00am and 1:30pm every day. 1-day $59, 3-day $149 + $32 for equipment rental